The main ISSEP conference will be preceded by a doctoral consortium on Sunday, October 22, 2023, in Lausanne, at avenue de Sévelin 46 (different from the venue for the main conference).
The doctoral consortium is a friendly place for new Ph.D. students to present and discuss their research ideas, meet each other as well as other senior researchers, and get constructive feedback from peers and researchers, during a day planned especially with topics relevant to Ph.D. students in mind.
You are most welcome to join the consortium if you feel closer to the beginning of your Ph.D. than to the end and if you are looking to get recommendations, brainstorm new ideas, get new insights, make new contacts internationally related to your research field.
Relevant research fields include informatics/computer science education (pedagogy, didactics, teacher education, formal and non-formal education, assessment, higher education, educational technology, computational thinking) or with a focus on other areas of research in connection to ICT, digitalization, modern technologies and STEAM.
Aims of the Doctoral Consortium
- Offer a forum for doctoral students to discuss their research topics, research questions and design in the field of Informatics education research
- Receive constructive feedback from their peers and senior researchers, to help with choosing suitable methodology and strategies for research
- Get involved and network with other researchers
- Discuss any relevant questions related to research and academic life
To apply for the doctoral consortium, please submit a 2-page file describing your research according to the instructions given on the main Submissions page. Your file should have the following succinct sections, without a separate abstract:
- Title, name, name of institution and supervisor(s), year of Ph.D.
- Introduction: context and background about your research area
- Research Question: the “rich and interesting question” you are trying to answer in your Ph.D.
- Methodology: the approaches and research methodologies that you will employ or have already employed to answer the research question
- Related Work: the main publications related to your area and research question that you deem relevant
- Results So Far: if any, the list of already obtained results and publications
- Open Questions: points about which you feel unsure or on which would like to have feedback during the consortium
Of course, it is definitely OK if some of these parts contain more questions than answers, as the goal of the consortium is to help you move forward with it all!
If your application is accepted, you will be asked to prepare a simple poster summarizing your research and its open questions and issues, which will serve as support for discussion during the doctoral consortium.
Engin Bumbacher, Jean-Philippe Pellet, University of Teacher Education, Lausanne, Switzerland
Andreas Bollin, University of Klagenfurt, Austria
Valentina Dagienė, Vilnius University, Lithuania
Gerald Futschek, TU Wien, Austria
Violetta Lonati, Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy
Tilman Michaeli, TU Munich, Germany
|08:30 – 09:00||SEV46-232||Arrival & registration|
|09:00 – 09:15||SEV46-232||Welcome & outline of the day|
|09:15 – 10:15||SEV46-232||Per student: presentation and by-group discussion & feedback (1/2) — 20 min/student|
|10:15 – 10:30||SEV46-236||Break|
|10:30 – 11:30||SEV46-232||Per student: presentation and by-group discussion & feedback (2/2) — 20 min/student|
|11:30 – 12:30||SEV46-232||Senior researcher presentations with thematic focus (12 min. each)|
|12:30 – 13:30||SEV46 Cafeteria||Lunch|
|13:30 – 14:00||SEV46-232||Meet with the advisors of the other group — 5 min/student|
|14:00 – 15:30||SEV46-232||Work in thematically organized small groups|
|15:30 – 15:40||SEV46-236||Break|
|15:40 – 16:40||SEV46-232||Panel discussion: How to organize your PhD as a Stepping Stone|
|16:40 – 16:50||SEV46-236||Break|
|16:50 – 17:50||SEV46-232||Group presentation of progress and discussion of next steps|
|17:50 – 17:55||SEV46-232||Certificate handout|
|17:55 – 18:00||SEV46-232||Closing|
SSID: HEP-VD Public
All participants get a reduced student fee to the main ISSEP conference.